Translate

Thursday, December 10, 2009

A fond farewell

The time has come to bid farewell to Uncle Steve. For those of you who knew him, he has passed from this life to the next this month and his funeral will be Saturday, December 12th at St. Timothy's ( on Horseshoe Drive). He lived several years past Aunt Leona, which really I didn't expect. He would have made his 97th birthday next month also. For me, I will miss him. I didn't visit every day, but every visit was a good one in these past few years. His spirit of independence ( or hardheadedness, which ever you prefer) was deeply appreciated by me and is one I hope to emulate in about 40 years or so. (According to some, I am well on my way to perfecting the trait.) Of course there are surprises as the kids go through the stuff collected over the past three quarters of a century. Some things remembered are currently unlocated and some records going back to the war years turn up.

As the Navy says, Uncle Steve, "Fair winds and Following seas." Enter your rest peacefully and know that your kids and grandkids do love you still, just as their love for Aunt Leona continues.

And mine as well.

No comments: