Translate

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

When the sky falls

 Don't ask me. That's just the title that popped into my pointy little head.


I keep thinking about those "Top Ten" shows and it bothers me more than it should. I guess the confining of an artist to a singularity of genre' bugs me most. I mean take Dolly (Parton) for instance: Country, why yes indeed, and rock, sure, couple of hits there. Children's songs, pop music. How about 3000+ songs she has written and no, I cannot name them all.  How many other artist get pigeon holed into certain categories and any music that doesn't fit the preconceived notion is generally ignored. I remember when MTv started up.  Did not realize at the time how prophetic Mike Nesmith  was and didn't realize what a forerunner of the 80's The Monkees were. Of course most people back then didn't think of them as real musicians but even then I knew there was more substance supporting the campyness than was generally realized.MTv did eventually recognized Audio Adrenaline as a viable video candidate (Big House). Late night videos in north Alabama gave me Nena's "99 Luftballons" (in Deutsch), 

I wonder how many people realize that The Archies were a continuation of The Monkees? Music videos had their beginnings in cartoons

No comments: